Saturday, December 19, 2009

Another first-time mom lesson learned...

I wish we had enough money to do one of those "watch me grow" professional photographer packages, starting with those adorably posed newborn shots (like these....so cute), but such is the life of a one income family. So for 6 months AND Christmas (fortunately they coincided) we went to one of those "mall type" photo studios. Unfortunately our young photographer must have been really hungry because she rushed us so she could head out to lunch. I had come prepared for several outfits on Kaylee but was only allowed 2 (even though on the phone they said I could bring as many as I wanted). I also had ideas of poses I wanted: Family Christmas, family regular, Kaylee standing (she's really good at it!!), and Kaylee with her favorite blanket. I had to force the 2 family portraits even though I had scheduled a "family session", not an "baby session", but I didn't get the other two poses of Kaylee. This was my first time doing something like this and on the phone they said it would take 2 hours. So I let the photographer do her poses first and by the time I asked for my pose ideas, she said we were out of time (maybe 20-30 minutes total). I was sad. We looked through the photos she took, and understood why people pay good money for a real professional photographer. We picked 2 poses and left feeling scammed. I know, I know...I should have spoken up while we were there, but I thought maybe that was just the way it was. I complained to a few friends who said I need to call the shop and complain because their own experiences had been wonderful. We'll see if I do that, I haven't decided. I HAVE decided that I will be saving money for the next 6 months to go to a professional for her 1 year pictures. Infact, whenever we make it out to CA we'll be going to see my long-time friend, Raquel, who owns Lifestages Photography!! Anyway, enough of my venting. Here is one of the poses of Kaylee (it doesn't scan well).


I'll post the Christmas photo after our cards are mailed. :) But for now here are a couple I took at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a bummer of an experience. i like your photos better anyway :)

Jennell said...

hey.. if you ever make it to San Diego Rowen will shoot her!!! :)

Then

During the last few weeks of pregnancy, Kate listened to Brad Paisley's new song "Then". She didn't just listen to it a few times, she obsessively played the song on repeat, learned every word, and sung it at the top of her lungs while driving. Then one day a few weeks after Kaylee was born, Kate was driving with Kaylee by themselves. Kaylee began to cry...then scream. It didn't matter how much Kate reassured her, pulled over to make sure something wasn't wrong, or attempted to hold the pacifier in place with one arm backwards while driving. It finally occurred to Kate that maybe Kaylee wants mommy to sing to her (although no one else would want this!). So Kate put track #4 on and began to sing. Kaylee immediately calmed down. Low and behold, it's not even mommy's singing that Kaylee likes! It's Brad's!