Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Random

Life as a stay at home mom of an 8 month old isn't all that adventurous, so we have to make up our own fun. This week consisted of reminiscing about my mom, in the best way possible...food.
Memory #1: Yogurt
I have no idea why, but Safeway brand yogurt stands out in my head as something we ate often as kids. Kaylee has started eating yogurt this past week and she absolutely loves every flavor tried so far - Dano-nino's vanilla, peach/mango, and strawberry/banana. Before you get upset that I gave my baby dairy before she's a year old, I DID check with a registered dietician and our pediatrician who explained that the proteins in milk that cause allergies are limited after the culturing process. So we tried a little yogurt and waited to see if there were any reactions. No negative reactions, so yogurt has become a favorite. Here is the mess we make with yogurt...I'm sure I could be a lot more efficient, but how cute is this face?!

If you're up to date on your Lady Gaga music, you might sing "yo-yo-yo-yogurt face" like I do while bouncing around the kitchen. Maybe that's why her face looks like this!

Memory #2: Chocolate and pretzels
My mom often said that chocolate went well with salty things (she would have loved the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Starbucks) and so another snack that was common in our house was mini-pretzels in a little bowl with chocolate chips. The BEST way to eat them is to put a chocolate chip upside down in each hole in the pretzel (3), then put the whole thing in your mouth at once. Well, I didn't have mini-pretzels or chocolate chips, but I did have pretzel sticks and dipping chocolate so this was my snack one day this week. Kaylee will have to wait awhile for these though.


And last but not least, Memory #3: Sewing
Not just sewing straight lines, but actually following a pattern to make an outfit for Kaylee. My mom made many of our clothes over the years. Matching Easter outfits for us 3 girls, cheerleading uniforms for my whole team (oops, did I just let that cat out of the bag!), costumes, and we even had matching dresses for my cousin's wedding in 2001! She was an excellent seamstress and creator, partially due to her insane attention to details. I, on the other hand, hate details. So following patterns is not my forte. However, I did feel that it is my duty, as a mom who does know how to sew, to make at least one outfit. Here's a sneak peak.

No comments:

Then

During the last few weeks of pregnancy, Kate listened to Brad Paisley's new song "Then". She didn't just listen to it a few times, she obsessively played the song on repeat, learned every word, and sung it at the top of her lungs while driving. Then one day a few weeks after Kaylee was born, Kate was driving with Kaylee by themselves. Kaylee began to cry...then scream. It didn't matter how much Kate reassured her, pulled over to make sure something wasn't wrong, or attempted to hold the pacifier in place with one arm backwards while driving. It finally occurred to Kate that maybe Kaylee wants mommy to sing to her (although no one else would want this!). So Kate put track #4 on and began to sing. Kaylee immediately calmed down. Low and behold, it's not even mommy's singing that Kaylee likes! It's Brad's!