Monday, November 30, 2009

5 months!

This month has been so much fun...minus the lack of sleep. We were sleeping anywhere between 8-10 hours each night but the last few weeks have been no more than 4 hours at a time. I read that some babies do this at this age and I was hoping that Kaylee wouldn't be one of "those babies", but oh well. She is such a fun and happy baby that even at 4am she is smiling and is as cute as can be, so I don't mind the no-sleep phase.

This month she's been busy. She rolls front to back pretty consistently, and occasionally back to front.


She laughs big belly laughs when we sing crazy songs, make funny faces, or bounce her on our knees. Although Kaylee doesn't seem to mind my inability to carry a tune, I'll spare you from my singing. For Thanksgiving her favorite song by mommy went like this: (sung to the tune of I'm a Barbie Girl)
I'm a Kaylee girl
In a Kaylee world
Dressed in camo
My gun says blam-o
When a turkey runs
Innn front of meee
I will shoot him,
Then I'll eat him


At 4 months she weighed 13 lbs and was 24". At 5 months she is 14 lbs and 25"!! The growth may explain the sleep patterns too. Another fun thing she has learned is to reach for me when someone else is holding her! She does well with all people, but when she's done being held, she looks around for me, makes eye contact and puts her arms out! Warms my heart every time!
So far we've successfully navigated our way through the start of flu season by avoiding those who are really sick. We missed out on Thanksgiving with the "Apex Woertmans" due to illness, but had a nice evening at The Hamiltons (our neighbors). Then on Saturday my Aunt Charlene and Uncle Tim came for a weekend visit after they spent Thanksgiving in Tennessee. I really believe that Kaylee remembered Aunt Charlene from 4 1/2 months ago because Kaylee seemed so relaxed with her. (Aunt C stayed with us for 2 weeks when Kaylee was born).



Breastfeeding is still going very well. We'll start solid foods at 6 months. If you're interested, a great book to read is Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense . It was recommended to me by my mom's good friend Kathy who is a registered dietician.

No comments:

Then

During the last few weeks of pregnancy, Kate listened to Brad Paisley's new song "Then". She didn't just listen to it a few times, she obsessively played the song on repeat, learned every word, and sung it at the top of her lungs while driving. Then one day a few weeks after Kaylee was born, Kate was driving with Kaylee by themselves. Kaylee began to cry...then scream. It didn't matter how much Kate reassured her, pulled over to make sure something wasn't wrong, or attempted to hold the pacifier in place with one arm backwards while driving. It finally occurred to Kate that maybe Kaylee wants mommy to sing to her (although no one else would want this!). So Kate put track #4 on and began to sing. Kaylee immediately calmed down. Low and behold, it's not even mommy's singing that Kaylee likes! It's Brad's!